Updated: Jul 25
To serve 4
12 whole prawns
300g tofu block
1 packet of rice noodles (400g)
1 red onion
200 g beansprouts
5 spring onions
bunch of coriander
100ml tamarind stock
2 tbsp sweet chilli
4 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp sugar
1. Pad Thai Is a quick and simple dish to make, the best way to start is to prepare all of the ingredients before starting to cook. Begin by chopping the spring onions into batons, thinly slice the red onion then wash the beansprouts. Next lightly toast a handful of peanuts and crush in a pestle and mortar, then the tofu I like to cook separately as the tofu I used was quite delicate, cut into 1 cm cubes and deep fry until golden brown. When ready, remove and place aside. To make the tamarind stock add 1 tsp of tamarind pulp to 100 ml of boiling water and let the tamarind infuse into the water.
2. Now all of the ingredients are ready we can soak the noodles in boiled water for around 15 minutes. The most important part of this recipe is in the prawns, we want to remove the outer shell of the prawn. Then gently squeeze the outer shell of the prawns head off. When we squeeze off the shell of the head we are left with a bright red substance inside, we want to use this part of the head as it will give our pad thai a nice bright red colour. Next slice down the back of the prawn and remove the tract then set the prawns aside.
3. Now all of the prep for the pad thai is ready we can begin to cook, In a large pan add a 2 tablespoons of oil and fry the red onions and prawns until both have colour. Next remove the soaked noodles from the water, then add spring onions, tamarind, sweet chilli, sugar and a couple of drops of water. Fry the pad Thai for around 5 minutes until all the ingredients have mingled together.
4. By now the pad Thai is practically finished, just add the beansprouts, 1 tsp of chilli flake (optional if you like it spicy) then add the fried tofu. Next push the pad thai to the side of the pan. Add a little oil if needed to the other side of the pan and crack the eggs and cook them almost like a omelette. When cooked mix all together and season the pad thai with fish sauce, and check that the noodles are cooked, if not fry a little longer until cooked.
5. To serve divide the pad thai into 4 bowls then add crushed peanuts and chilli flakes on the side and serve with a lime wedge and a few stalks of coriander on top.
Have fun making this delicious recipe!!!
You can make this pad thai vegetarian by taking away fish sauce and replace with salt, and by using only tofu instead of prawns. You can also substitute prawns with chicken thigh if preferred. If you can not find whole prawns peeled tiger prawns will work just as-well although the colour may be slightly lighter for pad thai. I do recommend using the head of the prawns as it makes the dish far more delicious.